Thursday, October 15, 2009

T minus 2

The countdown continues and things are still looking incredibly great. Today I had to drop my car off at a shop just down the road from the hospital, so Dad said he would pick me up. Imagine my surprise when Mom came along for the ride!!! When they pulled up, it looked so natural to see Mom sitting in the front seat of their cute white car. In the days after Mom's surgery, I often rode back and forth to the hospital with Dad, and I always sat in Mom's place. It almost felt sacred to be sitting in her seat, and I used to wonder if she would ever sit there again. And now, here we are! (I never knew it could feel so good to ride in the back seat!)

Randy came along for the ride as well, and after picking me up, we all continued on to his house so Mom could see the new carpet they had installed a couple weeks ago. Mom was able to go down all the stairs into the basement, and then back up again. Jim and Ruth stopped over for the excitement, and it was great fun to all be together again at a place other than the hospital!

Earlier in the day I talked to Mom on the phone and she told me we needed to start packing up all the things from her hospital room to take home. It was so natural to be talking with her that way and planning all the things we need to do. She talks and acts just like she always has, and it is thrilling.

Things are falling into place for the big day. Everyone is so happy for us and we have received such generous offers to help. We're still trying to figure out exactly what we need, but it is heartwarming to know that people care so much. We know it won't be easy, but we're excited to have made it this far. Thank you again for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment