Thursday, August 13, 2009

No fun

This has been a rough day.  We left Mom sleeping peacefully last night, and arrived this morning to an emergency colonoscopy.  I don't know about you, but my memories of having a colonoscopy rank up right up there with chemotherapy.  As if that weren't bad enough, she has to have ANOTHER one tomorrow.  When the neurologist who ordered the test checked in this afternoon, I asked him if he has ever had a colonoscopy, let alone TWO in a row.   He got a sheepish look on his face and admitted that he has another five years to go.  Ah, youth!

On the bright side of things, today Mom is more aware of what is going on than she has been since her surgery.  (Kind of ironic, since today would have been a good day to sleep through.)  We wonder if it is because of her heart procedure, but whatever the reason, we'll take it!

On a hugely upbeat note, the other exciting thing is that she is moving her RIGHT arm tonight!!!  It has been so hard to watch her be in such discomfort, but I had to smile when I saw her right arm slowly, but surely, moving up and down a few inches at a time.   Another tender mercy,  just when we needed one!  

They also stood her up again today on the special table.  It was breathtaking to see her upright, and her feet were planted quite squarely on the ground.  They also worked her arms and legs for a bit today.  The therapists were so wonderful with her.  We are so grateful for their caring and expertise.

Tonight, in the midst of her discomfort, I got out the headphones and she loved listening to Joshua Creek again.  Later I put on the violin music that Ariane brought.  It was so soothing and comforting.  During the song, Beautiful Savior, Mom even hummed along for a few notes. Although we couldn't see them, angels were in the room with us.

Hang in there, dear, sweet Mom.  We'll have awesome things to share tomorrow!




1 comment:

  1. Pauline, I'm so happy you have music to listen to. I know how much you love music and it is such an important part of your life. It's especially wonderful that you can listen to Ariane playing as that is really special to you. I am back from my trip and had a great time. I look forward to seeing you sometime soon. Love and Hugs, Linda Rehart [Dear family, I would really encourage you to play a lot of music for Pauline. I don't know if you have to have her wear ear phones all the time, or you can just have a player on her nightstand and play it. If she is in a private room, they usually let you play it that way. Music can be very healing for people, especially for those that really love it. I really appreciate your reports. I know it is a difficult time to go through, my prayers are with you. Linda]

    ReplyDelete